08 February 2011

How To: Make Pretty Daisy Drop Earrings

In which I give a free tutorial on making pretty wire crochet earrings in the shape of a daisy chain.

Happy Spring, everyone!
Yes, it is Spring.
-
Yes it is.
-
Yes it is!!!

And I have a gift for you lovely people. Your very own pretty bitty daisy earring How-To!

“wire

This time of year always has me impatient for things to start growing, for the weather to brighten just enough for me to play in my balcony garden and to enjoy seeing everywhere slowly get greener. Today, in fact, I got a call from my little sister, to let me now the daffodils were starting to appear around her work. I haven't seen any out this way, yet, but it's just a matter of time.

In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy wearing my Daisy Drops, and I hope you do, too.

The key to crocheting with wire is to use a metal hook. Plastic and wooden ones just won't stand up to the pressure and may get marked and scratched.

What you will need to make these pretty litle diasy drop earrings is:
3mm hook
2 earring fixtures
some #28 wire. Anything thinner is liable to break.
“wire

Note: The fllowing is written in UK stitch names.
For translation, check out this post.

1. First, loop the wire around the body of the hook, and twist ends together three times. This will be the loop you'll work all subsequent stitches into. Chain twice.
“wire

“wire


2. Now, working into the loop you created, dc12, working a few of these sts over the tail to secure it inside the earring. 1sl-st into 1st dc to close round.
“wire
“wire
“wire

3. ch 3. Trim tail so that it's hidden inside earring body. Trim working end, leaving about 5 cms free.
“wire


4. Thread working end through the last loop and pull gently.
“wire


5. To create the petals around the edge, use your hook to gently lengthen the front loop of each dc. This will pull the back loop closer to the centre. Reshape petals with body of hook.
“wire

6. Take earring fitting, and, using the 5cm end, fix securely to last chain. Ensure you don't pull this knot too tight; earring must swing freely.
“wire


7. Trim end, and wear with pride!

9 comments:

  1. Those are very sweet. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lengthening the front loop like that is really clever! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted you all like 'em, guys.
    Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This tutorial is a delight! I love how you chained the flowers to the ear wires. Okay to feature and link in an upcoming post so others can come visit? Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been trying to crochet flowers with wire... and finally - thanks to your tutorial, I did it. THANKS so MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really great project and it looks really easy. I just took a beading class today and didn't get the project finished, had a really hard time with it. This is an "early Xmas present" I can make for all my friends, my mom, and all her neighbors at the nursing home, all my neighbors, etc.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...