03 November 2010

What to do?

Have yarn, will crochet

I bought these at the Knitting and Stitching Show last week, with the encouragement of fellow Irish blogger, Laura.



Aren't they gorgeous?
The colours are muted but still so rich, they compliment each other well enough that I think my self-imposed ban on most types of crochet colourwork may have to be broken, but I'm having a problem and it is this:

I don't know what to make out of them. I have been carrying these two skeins around for the last few days, moving them from room-to-room as I work, settling them down beside me on the couch in the evenings, resting them on the bedside locker at night, petting them, smelling them and generally doting over them. This may seem like odd behaviour, but it's not. This stuff is gorgeous. 50% Silk, 50% Alpaca, DK (thanks, R for pointing out it's not 4-ply as I thought!). I honestly believe the only way Blue Sky could have made their Alpaca Silk yarn nicer is if they somehow, mathematically, managed to get 60% Silk and 60% Alpaca into it.

So, what would you do?
Big items, small items, quantity isn't a huge issue; I can always get more down the line. Help me use this lovely yarn!

7 comments:

  1. Definitely something worn close to the skin! A scarf or wrap maybe? Blue Sky Alpaca is one of my favorite brands. :D

    .:Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only just discovered it, Sparrow, and it is now one of my favourite US brands, along with Brown Sheep Naturespun Fingering.

    I was thinking shawl or hat... but I'm still not sure! You're right, though. Something cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of a scarf crocheted in the basketweave stitch *4FB 4BP for 4 rows then 4BP, 4FP for 4rows* for about 2-3in then carry on that stitch without making the weave *4 FP 4 BP each row*

    That maybe because I am doing this with lace yarn (not recommended lol) but it does look beautiful and so warm. Just love those colors as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's DK hon! http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/blue-sky-alpacas-alpaca-silk
    Hmmm, ideas. A lovely matching hat and cowl?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing basket-weave with lace-weight? Wow, brave woman! I'd love to see photos when you're done...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, so it is, R!
    It looks to be a lighter weight in the skein. Or maybe all my petting has just worn it thinner. hehe. A hat and cowl would be lovely. Imagine how light and warm it'd be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally thought that too when I saw it first!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...