18 August 2010

Calculating Meterage

They say in school that calculus "is something you'll use every day of your life", that it's "super-important for your development as a functioning, sentient being". Yea, we all heard our Maths teachers try to grapple our interest away from copy-book doodles or note-passing on a rainy Monday afternoon, but you know they may have had a point.



I haven't thought about what value x has for quite some time, and suddenly, as I sit here, calculating out the meterage for all these lovely glove patterns, I realise it's very handy, nay! ESSENTIAL! I'm all about the x-values now. I'm multiplying this by that, taking numbers across the equals and changing their positives to negatives. I am... in a phrase "rocking maths".

There are many ways to calculate the meterage of a project - and all have built-in flaws - but as this is my favourite way, I figured I'd share it.

Put on your nerd hats people, we're going in!

Ok, so say a glove, individually weights 28 grammes without buttons, ribbons or any extra stuff. The band on the ball of yarn says that 50 grammes = 181 m. We need to calculate how many meters are in that glove.

Easy peasy.

28 / 50 = .56
.56 x 181 = x
x = 101.36 m

This I round up a bit. Always better to expect a bit more yarn than a bit less to be used (plus, you'll have to account for any ends that you may have trimmed off), so 110m.

There are two gloves (usually) in a pair, so, 110 x 2 = 220 m in the project.

Now all that's left is to sit back, feel smug and get on with any other bits of crochet you need to do.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Yay math!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See knew maths would be useful. It's funny actually when you realize how much maths is involved with crochet. I'm a maths nerd so this pleases me...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...