13 November 2009

I am a make-a-holic

I have a confession to make, I'm afraid.
I am an addict.
I'm completely addicted to make-a-hol.

Oh, yes. Make-a-hol. It gets me out of bed in the morning, puts a spring in my step, it's my raison d'etre. Basically, without it, I have nothing.

But, what IS make-a-hol? I hear you ask.

It's an invisible substance, lacking smell, taste, substance, but still, despite these obvious failings, make-a-hol is a powerful thing. It can be a force for good, like when we create new and beautiful things for friends and family that show them how much we care; but it can also be a force for extreme evil; it's the voice in our head that tells us that yes, we DO need more yarn; that 4 pairs of 3mm hooks are not enough; sure you should make all your Christmas presents this year; or... worse still... the urge to pass on your make-a-holism to others, so you have 'making' buddies.

You can try to give up, oh you can try, if you like, but your fingers will twitch ceaselessly, your mind will wander, you'll start to dream about lovely, sheepy wool, smooth, cool silk, wooden crochet hooks that shine with polished use, Noro, Rowan, felting, spinning, crochet, knitting... and before you know it, you'll be back in your LYS where you belong.

All you can do is turn your addiction to good, so this year, I beg you, all of you... when making your Christmas presents, no crocheting with self-patterning sock yarn.
Please!

2 comments:

  1. dear god, flick that's a wonderful word for the thing that we suffer from! every thread (HAHA) of my being resonates with the desire to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, thanks, hon!
    It just hit me on the bus on the way home one day when I was honestly worried that I'd not get the neck-warmer I started (for no-one in particular) at the beginning of the bus journey, finished by the end of it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...