20 June 2009

Crochet Pattern Download - Hair Flower

There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray, love, remember: and there is pansies. that's for thoughts. - Ophelia, Hamlet Act III, Scene V.

I've always loved Ophelia, depite her weaknesses. When I studied Hamlet in school, I was fascinated by her journey; starting as a pure thing, before crumpling like an over-extended flower stem, until she was completely lost.

A morbid reason to make a pretty hair-flower, perhaps, but nonetheless a suitable one.



I like to provide patterns for people to try out, and I truly get a kick out of seeing people's finished projects, but I also think it's important to give people the opportunity to say thankyou for the work that has gone into creating the pattern, if they so wish.

So, I have the pattern written out below, in UK stitch names, but if you'd prefer an easy-to-print pdf of the pattern, with both UK and US stitch names catered for, then please, click below, give whatever you feel is appropriate, let me know your email address, and I'll happily email the pdf on to you.








Ophelia:
This pattern is written with UK stitch names

Wherever I see pretty, big flowers I think of Ophelia’s great monologue in Hamlet. So, when the idea for this pretty bloom floated into my head, it had a name before it even had a yarn chosen for it.

I hope you enjoy wearing it as much as I enjoyed making it.


Materials:
5.5mm crochet hook,

10g Sublime Kid Mohair (I know this is a discontinued yarn, but any DK mohair should do just as well)

Darning needle


Tension:
petal = 2 1/2 inches from base to tip,
petal = 2 inches across at widest point


Abreviation Key:
ch chain
sl st slip stitch
tr treble crochet
dc2tog double crochet two together
st(s) stitch(es)



Finished Size:
Finished diameter approx 6 inches


Method:

This pattern is crocheted in one continuous piece, cutting down considerably on the amount of weaving-in that would need to be done.

Note:
(the ch sts at the start of a row count as sts)


Centre:
1. ch 5, ss into first ch to close.

First Petal:
2. ch 1, dc 1 into each of next 2 ch (3 sts)
3. ch 1, turn, [dc 2], dc1, [dc 2] (5 sts)
4. ch 1, turn, [dc 2], dc 3, [dc 2] (7 sts)
5. ch 1, turn, [dc 2], dc 5, [dc 2] (9 sts)
6. ch 1, turn, dc 9
7. ch 1, turn, dc 9
8. ch1, turn, *dc3tog* three time (3 sts)
9. ch1, turn, dc3tog (1 st)
10. ch 1, dc9 down left side of petal (i.e. one dc into each row.


Note:
There’s no need to be especially accurate with this, a bit of variety in the petals can be very pretty)


Second Petal:

2. dc into the leftmost st on the base of the first petal, and dc into next two sts in base. (3 sts)



3. ch 1, turn, [dc 2], dc1, [dc 2] (5 sts)
4. ch 1, turn, [dc 2], dc 3, [dc 2] (7 sts)
5. ch 1, turn, [dc 2], dc 5, [dc 2] (9 sts)
6. ch 1, turn, dc 9
7. ch 1, turn, dc 9
8. ch1, turn, *dc3tog* three time (3 sts)
9. ch1, turn, dc3tog (1 st)

10. ch 1, dc 9 down left side of petal (i.e. one dc into each row.

Remaining 3 Petals:

Repeat pattern as for second petal until you have five in total.

Inner petals:

1. Make two loose ss to centre of flower.

2. [dc 2] into each centre st, ss to close (10 sts)

Note:
The sts you will be working into for the inner petals are already being used by the outer petals. You’ll be working on top of the base dcs for every outer petal.


3. ch 1, *[dc 1, tr 5], [tr5, dc 1]* repeat four more times.

4. ss to close, thread yarn ends through to back of flower, affix a small butterfly clip, weave in ends and wear with pride!

1 comment:

  1. Your work is quite beautiful! Thanks for posting. If that's your hair, bravo to you!

    By the way, thanks for leaving a nice, complimentary comment on my blog which you stumbled into. It was unexpected since I had just posted minutes before your comment came in.

    I hope to come back to visit Ireland someday. I have relatives in Cong. You remind me of my Irish roots.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...